The recliner chair is an advanced, high-tech category of upholstered furniture designed for a good rest for the elderly. Such models were created back in the first half of the last century, but there was no need to use them in mass production.
The furniture customers were mainly aviation, spacecraft construction companies, which were interested in the ideal support and relaxation of pilots during long flights. But the acceleration of the pace of life, the increase in production, the transition to digital technologies, accompanied the introduction of space chairs in the realities of everyday life.
Best chair for the elderly
|Perfect Comfort Infinite Position Lift Chair Recliner Designed by Golden Technologies for SpinLife, Mocha||SpinLife||Power - Lift - Chair -Recliner||34.00 x 42.00 x 34.00 in||More info|
|Mega Motion Infinite Position Power Easy Comfort Lift Chair Lifting Recliner FC-101 Infinite Recline Rising Electric Chaise Lounger - Java Brown Color Fabric + Inside the Home Delivery, Setup and Box Removal||Mega Motion||electric recliners for seniors||32 x 45 inches||More info|
|Pride Mobility Specialty LC-105 3-Position Lift Chair, Fern||Pride Mobility||reclining chair for elderly||Weight: 140 pounds||More info|
|3 Position Lift Chair with Chaise Pad Color: Fawn||Mega Motion, Inc||recliners for elderly||38.5 x 34 x 41.5 inches||More info|
|3 Position Lift Chair with Chaise Pad Color: Sage||Mega Motion, Inc||recliners for old people||38.5 x 34 x 41.5 inches||More info|
Best video review about comfortable chairs for seniors
What is the best recliner for old people?
Perfect Comfort Infinite Position Lift Chair Recliner Designed by Golden Technologies for SpinLife, Mocha
LUXURIOUS AND FULLY PADDED – Designed by Golden Technologies, the professionals in lift chairs, SpinLife’s Perfect Comfort Infinite Position Lift Chair Recliner uses full back, seat, and armrest assistance for utmost convenience and also intense leisure; offered in a range of textile and also faux leather upholstery alternatives to complement your residence decoration.
INFINITE ERGONOMIC POSITIONS – A standing lift placement supplies freedom by safely aiding you while taking a seat or standing up. A twin electric motor device allows for an unlimited mix of back and also leg adjustments for unlimited seats as well as reclining placements.
CONVENIENCE AND PAIN RELIEF – Postoperative clients or individuals with leg concerns, paralysis or mobility problems will discover this power lift chair to be efficient at using comfort and key body pressure point discomfort alleviation throughout healing, prolonged bed remainder, or for use in nursing homes.
DIMENSIONS – The Medium Size Lift Chair fits individual elevation range of 5′ 4″ to 5′ 10″ with a 375 pound weight ability and also steps: Seat 22″ wide, 22″ deep, 19.5″ high; Back 27.5″ high; Overall Width 34″, Overall Height is 42″
Best reviews about Perfect Comfort Infinite Position Lift Chair Recliner Designed by Golden Technologies for SpinLife, Mocha:
Negative review: Acquired this chair for my grandfather who requires it to rest and also is 87. It quit working after a week and a fifty percent and he hasn’t rested for 3 days consequently. This firm hasn’t even called me yet even though I set up a claim.
Positive review: Chair is terrific, significant as well as have great deals of settings offered. The delivery business was fine up until delivery and then the driver was awful. We were told an excellent driver was bringing it but after that chair got embedded in Chicago as well as was delayed.
That happens, immaterial. We then had a different delivery person who was unwilling to aid obtain the chair to my deck. Due to the delay, my 83 year old daddy was there to take the chair, expecting help we were informed would certainly happen. I remained in the hospital, which is why we required the chair.
The messenger was absolutely unsympathetic and also suggest, saying noisally with my papa, which I heard while on the mobile phone with my Dad. Had we had an option, never would certainly have permitted her on the residential or commercial property. Hope delivery co. does a far better task working with Human Beings.
Mega Motion Infinite Position Power Easy Comfort Lift Chair Lifting Recliner FC-101 Infinite Recline Rising Electric Chaise Lounger – Java Brown Color Fabric + Inside the Home Delivery, Setup and Box Removal
Easy Comfort Power Mega Motion Lift Chair. Infinite Position, all electrical lift as well as recline Lounger. Double Lift Motors
Durable Construction – Furniture quality hardwood/plywood building and construction with heavy-duty steel lift device.
Life time lift system warranty. 325lb Maximum weight ability with 2 year producer’s guarantee on parts.
Consists Of an Integrated Emergency Battery Backup to elevate the chair in instance of a power failure and also Chaise Pad.
IN STOCK FOR IMMEDIATE FREIGHT GROUND CURBSIDE SHIPPING! Consists of Inside the Home Delivery, Setup as well as Box Removal.
Mega Motion Infinate Position Power Easy Comfort Lift Chair Electric Chaise Lounger Lifting Recliner – Includes an Integrated Emergency Battery Backup to elevate the chair in case of a power outage. Perfect for seeing television, resting, reading, or simply to relax and loosen up. With the touch of a button the chair delicately climbs or reclines. The electrical motor offers a smooth change from recline to a standing placement, making it suitable for persons that have trouble getting involved in or out of a chair. The power recline lets you recline immediately to any type of setting with simply the touch of a button.
Attributes a convenient side pocket to store magazines, papers, or the lift chair push-button control. The MM-FC-101 is outfitted with a steel lift system (325-lb. weight restriction) and also is backed by a 1 year at home service warranty. Recommended for individuals from 5′ 4″ to 6′ 0″, Sturdy Construction includes Furniture quality hardwood/plywood building and construction, Heavy responsibility steel lift device, 325 pounds. maximum lift capacity, 2 year Parts Warranty, 1 year solution warranty, Chaise paid, Dual electric motors, Integrated battery emergency situation backup, Free curbside delivery consisted of with optional inside the residence delivery and configuration is additional.
Best reviews about Mega Motion Infinite Position Power Easy Comfort Lift Chair Lifting Recliner FC-101 Infinite Recline Rising Electric Chaise Lounger – Java Brown Color Fabric + Inside the Home Delivery, Setup and Box Removal
Negative review: I would not even give this chair fifty percent a star. it is the most awkward chair I have ever before bought. it is as tough as a rock and difficult to sleep on which is why I purchased it. the only thing I can state about it is it does recline into a full sleeping position however has so little extra padding it is impossible to oversleep without really feeling maimed up after a couple of hours. you can not return it because of shipping and also restocking costs. they even charge you wherefore the original delivery fees would have set you back although they were complimentary to start with. what a swindle.
Positive review: It is a wonderful after surgery. The arm relaxes are too high when you have joint inflammation in the shoulders.
Pride Mobility Specialty LC-105 3-Position Lift Chair, Fern
The Pride Specialty Collection LC-105 3-Position lift chair provides suberb value as well as exceptional convenience. It features a 20″ vast as well as 19″ deep seat, 325 weight ability, and is available in four micro-suede fabric shades. The LC-105 has a silent as well as smooth operation as well as adds a stylish layout to any home design.
Best reviews about Pride Mobility Specialty LC-105 3-Position Lift Chair, Fern
Negative review: Great chair … we obtained this chair for our 83 years of age mom because her arthritis was making it hard to get up out of chairs and the electric lift does the trick! She also reclines back and sleeps in this chair and she seems extremely pleased with just how this chair works for her. I also see her feet aren’t so swollen considering that its very easy for her to keep her feet up. It was a bit of a struggle for me putting it together which’s why I offered it 4 celebrities … but overall an excellent chair for my mama.
Positive review: This firm goes above as well as past for their clients. I got this chair for my grandpa. He has mobility problems as well as got stuck in an older recliner, causing aggravating his problem. I immediately got this chair. I realized that I unintentionally struck the incorrect delivery address. To make matters worse, he resides in a different state from me, so the warehouse it was being delivered from would certainly be various … I quickly called.
The company exceeded as well as past to assist expedite the a brand-new bought chair to him and also cancel the chair sent out to my house address. I would get a refund for the very first chair but ought to have been billed a shipping and also restocking fee, as per the agreement on their return policy. You can not imagine the shock I was in when the partner I talked to contacted us to let me recognize not only would I obtain my complete reimbursement I would certainly not need to pay shipping or restocking costs. To cover it off whatever my grandfather LOVES the chair. I can’t claim enough good things concerning the company or the chair.
What is the difference between an old chair and ordinary swinging chairs?
- Models have a complex mechanized design, which can be equipped with different types of control: sensor, remote control, or mechanical levers.
- Such chairs allow you to change the angle of the backrest almost to the supine position, while equipped with a retractable footrest.
- Models combine the functions of a working chair and a cozy place for a short rest. They turn, sway with the help of an innovative glider, and fold out to the state of a deck chair.
- Some options are equipped with massage options that allow you to relax, get distracted, in a short period of time.
- The shape of the chairs emphasizes the anatomical curves of the body, so that the sitting position does not have a detrimental effect on the spine.
Is it possible to make a recliner chair yourself
The comfortable chair works with the help of a special device that provides the transformation of elements. It is sold separately, in specialized furniture stores, and allows you to independently make a recliner from an old chair. Furniture on a wooden frame is the easiest to convert, while you can use either a mechanical device or an electric installation.
To begin with, the mechanism needs to be assembled, if it is electric, to decide where on which side the cable with the socket is attached. Then you need to disassemble the chair, because the device will be held on the frame, and proceed with the installation. This is the most time-consuming part of the re-equipment, coping with it, we can say that half the work is done. Now it remains to attach the back and footrest to the protruding parts of the device. As a step, you can use a polished board to match the chair or a bulky pouf.
Summing up, we can confidently say that it is possible to implement the equipment of old upholstered furniture with a re-liner yourself, but if you do not want to spend time on remaking, welcome to dommino.ua., Where ready-made and beautiful furniture is always available.
How to choose a reclining chair for the elderly? Buying Guide.
The comfort of the chair directly depends on the number and nature of the adjustments – the most convenient models have a large number of diverse functions.
There are two comfort parameters – passive and active.
Passive – provided without any special mechanisms:
- adjustment of the armrests – in some chairs, the position of the armrests in vertical (height) or horizontal reach can be adjusted – this removes the load from the muscles of the shoulders, neck and back;
- thickening of the back and seat – provides a comfortable fit and optimal load distribution on the chair;
- thickened bend at the front edge of the seat – prevents squeezing the legs in the knees.
Important: the armrest should be adjusted so that the bend angle in the elbow is approximately 90 °.
Active – achieved through special mechanisms:
- standard – seat height adjustment, which allows you to adjust the chair for any height (gas lift);
- swing mechanism – allows you to freely swing in the chair, change the force of deviation of the back and seat, depending on the weight of the user. In addition, you can fix the tilt of the back and seat in the desired position;
- mechanism for adjusting the depth of the seat (“Slyder”) – allows you to change the depth of the seat. This adjustment is useful for large physicians;
- mechanism with constant contact (“Permanent Contact”) – makes it possible to change the height of the back and the depth of the seat. The mechanism provides tight contact of the back with the back of the user during any movement (including swing);
- Freelock mechanism – allows you to change the angle of inclination of the back by means of a lever and fix it in a given position. Moreover, the number of such positions is not limited;
- mechanism “FreeStyle” – provides continuous swing with regulation of the deflection force. The back of the chair fits snugly to the back of the user and supports his spine;
- Multiblock mechanism – makes it possible to swing freely in the chair with adjustable deflection force, and also allows you to fix the chair in four positions. The “Multiblock” is equipped with a special anti-shock mechanism (the seat and backrest remain in the same position even after the lock is released, which prevents the backrest from hitting or unexpectedly tipping over);
- synchronous deviation mechanism (“Synchromechanism”) – allows free swing, and also changes the angle of the seat with a change in the angle of the backrest depending on the user’s position. Such a mechanism provides the adjustment of the deflection force depending on the user’s weight and the fixation of the chair in five positions. The anti-shock function is present.
Important:a guideline for proper adjustment of the seat height – the user’s feet should be completely on the floor, and bent legs make an angle of 90 °.
The height of the back is adjusted as follows: the back should be a comfortable support for the back, and its convex part in the lumbar region should support the spine well.
The depth of the seat should be at least 2 / 3-2 / 4 of the length of the thigh. If this parameter is greater, then there may be problems with blood circulation, and if less, it may cause discomfort and even slipping off the chair.
It is worth paying attention to the function of adjusting the angle of inclination of the back – the chair adjusts to any back (this is important because the back of the chair acts as a support for the back of a person and takes on most of the load).
The angle of the backrest relative to the seat of the personnel chair should be 90 °: this is the optimal balance between relaxation and the condition of the employee. In more comfortable models designed for the leader, this parameter will be higher, but within reason, since it is hardly possible to relax in the “reclining” position.
Choosing one or another option for adjusting the chair, it is worth starting from the length of the working day:
- up to 2 hours – seat height adjustment;
- up to 4 hours – adjusting the seat height, adjusting the height and angle of the backrest, seat depth (“Freelock”, “FreeStyle”, “Permanent Contact” – for staff, “Swing Mechanism” – for the head);
- more than 4 hours – free swing function, adjustment of back and seat deflection effort, anti-shock effect, function of synchronous back and seat deflection, mechanism with constant contact (“Multiblock”, “Synchromechanism”).
Important:it should be remembered that a large number of adjustments and functions increases the cost of the chair. In addition, due to the complexity of the design, the strength and reliability of the model will decrease.
The base and body of the chair is made of metal (stand, lower support) and plastic (wheels); armrest and back frames are often made of metal with a plastic coating.
As a decorative finishing material, wood can also be used, for example, for armrests. However, wood, unlike metal or plastic, is sensitive to scratches and other mechanical damage.
Foam rubber is cheap and “breathable”, but short-lived material. The density of foam in high-quality chairs should be at least 25-40 kg / m 2.
Polyurethane foam – resistant to wear and durable, but more expensive material. Polyurethane foam compares favorably with foam rubber in that it is a single unit, and does not consist of several blocks, which eliminates the possibility of saving on its thickness or density.
Synthetic fabric is a relatively inexpensive, quite durable, wear-resistant material. Synthetics do not accumulate static electricity, it is resistant to the appearance of “pellets”. Such material “breathes” well and allows you to implement almost any design decisions, but it looks unpresentable.
Synthetic fabric is often used for upholstering conference chairs, chairs for visitors, chairs for staff.
Synthetic fabrics include:
- C series fabric – the cheapest option resembling burlap;
- microfiber (polyester) – resembles suede and has all the advantages of a synthetic material;
- TW series fabric – characterized by remarkable breathability, a high level of comfort and an ultra-modern look;
- JP series fabric (polyester) – has a very high resistance to wear and a unique texture (“rhombus”);
- ZT / ST series fabric (polyolefin) – wear-resistant and durable material;
- acrylic mesh – has the highest parameters of wear resistance and breathability, does not fade and does not attract dust.
Leather is an elite expensive material that has a number of advantages: environmental friendliness, high strength and wear resistance, hypoallergenicity. Eye-catching leather gives the chair solidity and respectability. Usually this material is used in chairs designed for the head.
Skin occurs in several forms.
Cow (category C) is the most upscale leather, the processing of which preserves its natural texture (scars, streaks, color features, etc.), which gives the chair an exclusive look. Advantages: soft, pleasant to the touch skin, perfectly absorbs moisture. Disadvantages: very high price, relatively low strength and resistance to wear, difficulty in maintenance.
Buffalo (category B) – when processing this skin, a partial correction of its appearance is made. Advantages: sufficiently high resistance to wear, hygroscopicity and breathability.
Split (category A) – when processing this skin, a complete correction of its appearance is made. Advantages: low price, very high strength and wear resistance, easy maintenance. Disadvantages: the lowest hygroscopicity and breathability.
Leatherette – in terms of consumer qualities, it approaches and sometimes surpasses genuine leather, but it costs significantly less. Due to its synthetic nature, leatherette compares favorably with genuine leather with a variety of textures and a wide range of colors. During processing, this material can be given various useful qualities (resistance to UV radiation, fire and low temperatures, fungus).
Due to its versatility, leatherette can be used for upholstering conference chairs, office upholstered furniture and executive chairs.
Leatherette is found in two forms:
- vinyl leather (PVC) – can imitate a different texture (genuine leather, fabrics, wood cut). However, such leatherette over time loses its qualities, does not “breathe” and releases toxic substances;
- eco-leather (PU, polyurethane) – environmentally friendly, “breathable” and durable material. It is better to let air through than genuine leather, but it absorbs moisture worse.
The chair for the elderly should be comfortable, safe and functional. When choosing a chair, you need to sit on it and make sure of its functionality. To assess the quality of the chair, carefully inspect and feel it, check the reliability of all mechanisms and adjustments. When studying a quality certificate, pay attention to the environmental friendliness of the materials used.
The components of a quality chair for old people:
- eco-friendly and hygienic upholstery material;
- a five-beam cross with easily rotating rollers;
- conveniently located adjustment mechanisms that make it easy to change the height of the seat or the backrest;
- a shock absorber on the height adjustment mechanism to reduce the load with a sharp increase or decrease in seat height;
- a layer of foam with a thickening on the sides of the seat – this is necessary for good fixation of the body in the chair;
- smooth adjustment of the height of the armrests and backrest, seat depth;
- a roller located under the lumbar spine so that the back anatomically matches the back of a person;
Tips when you bought a chair for the elderly
- For users with high stature and large build, a chair with a high back and a wide seat is suitable. For thin people of short stature, a chair with a low back and a narrow seat is the best choice.
- Office chairs require constant care and respect for use (you can not carry furniture over the back or armrests).
- Armchairs made of leather or leatherette should not be placed next to heating appliances or other sources of heat (minimum distance – at least 40-50 cm). These materials are also poorly tolerated by UV rays.
- It is forbidden to stand on the chair, as it may fail. Do not use broken furniture, as this may result in personal injury.
- Remember that sharp objects, glue, paints, stationery, detergents (with the exception of special compounds) can ruin the upholstery of a chair.
- To extend the life of the chair, do not swing or rotate it constantly: even the most reliable mechanisms with excessive load will quickly fail.
- Regularly checking the fastening of the screws and tightening them in a timely manner will reduce the risk of breakdown of the chair.
- To make the rollers move better, it is necessary to periodically clean them from dust and lubricate.
- Synthetic fabric can be cleaned with soap or powder. It does not need to be treated with special formulations to maintain elasticity.
- It is allowed to clean the skin and leatherette only with special means, otherwise these materials may lose their color or spots may appear on them. Before using the tool, it is advisable to test it on a small area of the chair upholstery. Skin and leatherette need regular treatment with compounds that maintain their elasticity.